Search This Blog

Monday, February 26, 2007

The thing about Scorsese is that every picture is better than the last. I’m sitting here watching the Oscars after I just watched the Departed DVD last night until 3 AM. Ok, I got started too late. But yeah, about the Scorsese guy, you bet he gets the best director or I’m eating my last movie ticket stub. He looks rather cartoonish in the crowd, and when accosted with a script by Ellen Degeneres, laughs it up and promises to look at it later. I doubt if it’s a real script, and I doubt he would look at it later if it was. I don’t think he needs script submissions at this stage.

Marty takes the cake for best directors of all time so far. My top three are Martin Scorsese, reluctantly Alfred Hitchcock, and Benito Bertolucci. I say reluctantly about Alfred because, well simply he was so stinking weird. But I’m just talking about their directing ability, not their personal beliefs or their lives or legacy.

But I will also state this uncategorically that Marin Scorsese would not be the filmmaker that he is without Thelma Shoemacher. Their editing teamwork goes back to his first gangster film and they haven’t stopped since. It’s kind of like a marriage. But she is brilliant all by herself. I think there should be a film about HER actually. It would be a documentary that I would spend the time to watch. I would want to see Thelma put in the top all-time editors in the filmmaking hall of fame.

In The Departed the sequences of dual character development flow so smoothly that they are indistinguishable, and one character flows into the other without being so confusing as to be lost. The moment of the cutaways, the use of sound in the editing in the gun battles and subtle changes in the climate of sounds and atmosphere in cellphone conversations were very nicely cut, but the timing of how long to hang on a face, the conversations, the movement across the screen, etc., is all Thelma. Ok, it’s Marty that makes the actors do their thing, but the perfect timing, I mean flawless timing of the cut, to the frame, goes to Thelma. One can only hope to find a partner to work with and team with in life the same way that these two operate.

Ok, so it’s 11:40 PM EST and Thelma just won. I am so justified. So now I guess I’ll wait until the nominee for best director and watch Marty make his walk down there. It’s about time he did. I don’t know about best picture. It’ll be close, and The Departed may make it, but I have a feeling that it could be Blood Diamond, or the Queen, but since I haven’t yet seen either one yet, well…there’s Marty. I am typing this as the envelope is opened. And……yep, it’s Marty. I knew that. But that doesn’t make me smart, because it was a given this year. And best picture…yep, it’s The Departed. Ok, now I feel smarter. Maybe I’ll watch it again tomorrow and pay my extra dollar to Blockbuster.

Gnite.

No comments: