Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

DNA evidence, crime, and on being falsely accused.

From the latest today in CNN.com:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/08/10/dna.testing.crime.ap/index.html

Concerning the article on DNA evidence increasing the statute of limitations on rape crimes:

We are headed for Minority Report faster than we think (people used to say Big Brother or 1984. Now we have more updated futures in film to look at for comparisons). The "advancement" of DNA profiling has caused a huge swing in what is allowed in courts and how people are "brought to the scene of a crime" even years after the crime, all through DNA testing.

The immediate thought that scares me is, "What if someone got hold of some of my DNA, easy enough to do, and placed it at the scene of a crime (present tense that is, not a past crime of course unless they found a way to sneak my cells into the evidence box)? I could be anywhere, virtually. All you need to do is have a willing victim follow me around, unknown to me, give enough time for a crime to happen apart from someone seeing me, put a little sample of me on a victim's clothes, and Voila!, instant rapist. Or for that matter, if you got a sample of some of me (and I'd like to address the issue of WHICH tissues we are talking about here)and actually committed some sort of crime yourself and purposefully put some of my cells at the scene, then it would be a matter of a tipoff and the coppers would be on to me! This all involves DNA and crime, and does not mention which bodily cells necessarily are used for the DNA evidence. I'm assuming in a rape case they would need to be semen, but that was not mentioned in the article.

Looking to the future, though, it would not be a big leap to assume that we will be innundated with DNA profiling. We've got Craig Venter, the man who cracked the genome before the government did trying to create life now, along with a few hundred others. We've got insurance costs out the wazoo, along with medical costs. We've got terrorism and global tracking problems. Why not a universal gene bank that will take care of all that? Why not a way to "tag" everyone? If we could just keep the information from hurting someone who wanted a particular job, say, or into a part of the military, or from being used in experiments...you see the escalation that manipulation of genetics will do to us if you follow it to it's logical conclusions. Can we keep that from happening? I have no idea. I do know that eye scanning can still be fooled to some degree, and you don't have to replace your eyes to do that. So DNA match is still the most solid evidence on the planet of the individuality of a human being. It's inevitable that it will not be left alone.

I'm not frightened really. I'm not being an alarmist and saying, "call out the inquisition and get rid of all this science!" In fact, I don't think there is a thing we can do about it, to be honest with you. Nothing.

No comments: