Search This Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Although I saw this at the theatre (my family was gone and I had little else to keep me occupied), this would make a good rental, as I reserve most of my theatre viewing for films that have some artistic or cinematic merit and deserve to be seen on the large screen.  RED (Retired and Extremely Dangerous) was very funny.  I liked it and would see it again (as a rental as I said).  It was a blast not only to see Bruce Willis looking actually old for once, but all of the other old farts shooting and getting their teenage-ninja thing on against the CIA staff and other likely bad people, with the old hero twist in there as a self-sacrificing Morgan Freeman.  The beginning is astonishingly high-impact and jettisons us into the plot, and the story worth following as well.  The very comical and ever blustering John Malkovitch in this role was easy for him it would seem, and having him play the mad scientist look-alike and fall guy was great.  Mary-Louise Parker was personable and stood out against Bruce Willis with her own style, reminiscent of 12 Monkeys.

Over all I liked RED because it was always moving and didn’t disappoint with filler material.  The end twist made the story wrap up nice and was not cheesy.

Overall about 3.5 stars for entertainment value and about 2.5 stars for the scripting.  There were no memorable quotes or outstanding written moments to speak of.  Just fun.

No comments: